02 July 2010

BOOKS: The Tales of Beedle the Bard


After reading Wuthering Heights, I checked out what books I haven't read on my bookshelf.  Browsing over my Harry Potter shelf (yes, I have a shelf dedicated to the lightning-scarred wizard), I found The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which I received as a Christmas gift a couple years ago.

The book is a collection of wizard fairy tales.  It was first introduced in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I read one story a night, which was just enough to get through it in five days.  Good bedtime stories too.

I was most intrigued by "The Tale of Three Brothers" because it directly connects with The Deathly Hallows.  I recognized it within the first few sentences.  Guess I really am a Harry Potter nerd and definitely won't deny it.

Another story I found interesting was "The Warlock's Hairy Heart."  It was a bit gruesome (well, as gruesome as a children's book can be), but that was what made the story so twisted. 

Anyway, it was a quick read before finding a more challenging book.  Reviewing my bookshelf again, I found a couple unread books that were gifts or that I bought in high school.  I wanted to check out some other options I had but quickly became overwhelmed with how many books I wanted to read.  I wish my house had a database, like the library, so that I could see what books we had.  I was hoping to read The Count of Monte Cristo, but I don't think we have it.  So until my next BOOKS blog post...

2 comments:

  1. ooo. Sounds like a good read! I have yet to read The Count of Monte Cristo. I want to read that sometime. Maybe another summer? We'll see.

    Congrats on getting through TWO books now. I'm still working one, haha. Maybe I could bust out two chapters of The Adolescent. We'll see.

    I want to read that book now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was watching the movie, and my dad was telling me all the differences between the book and the movie. I really just wanted to read it for myself.

    I haven't started my third book. I need to just sit down outside and get through the first couple chapters to get into it.

    ReplyDelete