29 July 2010

TECHNOLOGY: The Great Cell Phone Debate

Since the beginning of this year, I've been looking forward to summer.  I would be eligible for a new cell phone along with the rest of my family, and I am definitely in need of a new phone...

I currently have an LG Shine.  When I got it in the summer of 2008, I was determined to have it for more than two years because it was more expensive compared to the free phones the rest of my family got.  I took care of it well for a while, but then I accidentally dropped it.  Although it had a mirror on the front, it never broke after all those times I dropped it.  It was really weird because I read in reviews that it breaks easily.  Maybe I just had an invincible phone; however, that wasn't the case.

Somehow the top part surrounding the mirror is detached from the mainframe.  It's still hanging onto my phone, but I don't know how it happened.  Then moisture got into my phone, which seemed to scramble the microphone and speaker.  This makes it difficult to actually talk as my friends and family know.


As much as I like my LG Shine...if I can't use the basic function of a phone, then it's time to move on... 

So I've had my eyes set on the new iPhone 4 since I found out it would be released this summer. Talk about perfect timing, right?  However, with all the media hype about its release and then the antenna problems, I decided to wait it out.

But I'm so tired of yelling at my phone to talk to my friends or having them say, "What?" or that they're only getting every other word when we're talking.  It's frustrating, you know?

I took a poll of friends on Facebook about suggestions for a new phone, and the iPhone was the clear winner! I definitely was re-convinced that it was the right choice.

Now it's just a matter of finding the funds and convincing my parents that it's worth it.

If not, this might be my backup plan...

Get one of those free phones and use that for the time being and then upgrade to an iPhone 4.  Hopefully by that time, I'll have a job so that I can pay for it and the white one will be available. ;)

*****
What do you think?  Should I just go ahead and get the iPhone 4 now or continue to wait it out with a free phone?

2 comments:

  1. Get a free phone and wait out to upgrade to the limited edition of the iPhone 4, which I heard Apple was holding out on until the first rush of iPhone 4 came out. Its not like that version will be any better though but definitely just wait it out (I like the idea of getting the white one by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manny! I'm glad you support my plan. Now it's just a matter of finding a good free phone. :)

    ReplyDelete