06 August 2010

UP History

On Facebook, the University of Portland put up some old photos of the campus.  It's so interesting to see how the school has changed over the past 109 years.  UP is rich with history from its founding in 1901 to its expansion in 2009 with the purchase of River Campus, the establishment of Fields and Schoenfeldt Halls, the Bell Tower, and the renovation of the Engineering Hall (aka Shiley Hall).  Even with all these physical changes to campus, UP still rings true to its mission of Teaching, Faith and Service.

So it's fun Friday, and they made a game out of these pictures.  Whoever guessed the correct year first for each picture won!  They gave away soccer tickets to the men's game vs. Oregon on August 25. GO PILOTS!

But yeah, check this out (all photo credits go to the University of Portland archives):
1938

1950

1971

1985

1997
(I won soccer tickets by guessing this one correctly after two guesses) 

2009

Isn't it amazing to see how UP has expanded and changed over the years?  I can't wait to see where the future takes UP.  I know it will continue to grow and establish itself as a distinguished institution. 

Ah! Can't wait to visit UP in a couple weeks! See you at the game! :)

P.S. I feel like this should be on the library blog...oh well. 

4 comments:

  1. 1950, I guessed that one, after like three tries, but still got the tickets too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, yes you did, Chris! YAY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, you're going to the Orientation games?!?! I'll definitely see you there then!! :D

    Anyways, it's so cool how UP has expanded and developed over time. I'm excited to see what else is in store, especially with the triangle property.

    Ahhh, see you in a few weeks, Tarra! I'll be looking for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!! I'll be there! I'm visiting Portland from August 24-30, so I'll definitely see you, especially since you're a freshman workshop leader, right?! Woo! :D

    I'm excited about what they're going to do with River Campus too. It's so much land. The possibilities are endless, but money is an issue (when is it not?). But yeah...

    See ya Caitlin!! :)

    ReplyDelete