04 August 2010

JOB HUNT: Employment Fair


I was surprised to find out there was a job fair taking place in my hometown today, but I decided to check it out.

When I got there, a huge line wrapped around the building and ended in the parking lot! It was packed! So many people are unemployed in this area; it's actually over 10 percent!  In the U.S., 9.5 percent of Americans are unemployed.  I'm not sure if this number includes recent graduates but it might.  That number is extremely high, especially since unemployment should be half as much.  I know this recession and current state of the economy is still hindering the job market.

While waiting in line, a lady came out and said there was a lot of companies and great opportunities available.  It really lightened our spirits as we waited in the beaming heat.

I was really hoping to find some good information, but alas, it seemed jobs are still a bit scarce in this area.  Plus, there wasn't really anything for the industry I'm interested in.  No wonder I need to eventually relocate.  In addition, some companies and organizations that I was hoping to speak to were not there either.

Anyway, on the plus side, I got to see one of my high school classmates, Hanna Baek! She was actually helping out with Frontier Communications because she's an intern. So lucky!

Well, even though I didn't find what I was looking for at this job fair, it was still a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment