05 September 2012

Dear NYC: I Miss You

 Last weekend in NYC, July 2011
Two years ago today, I took a one-way flight to New York City and spent 10 months in the Big Apple - working/interning and exploring the city. Then I returned home.

On my last day, I wrote...
"I'm positive that I'm leaving. Do I want to leave? Not really but I feel that going home at this point in my life is a good choice, healthy even."

Looking back, I think I do regret leaving...


Sometimes I look back and think I didn't do enough to stay in New York. I could have done a more thorough job search to land a public relations internship. I could have done a better search for apartments. I feel like I just ran out of time and ran back to a place of familiarity and safety.

Now don't get me wrong. Upon returning home, I got another job (or two or three or four) and worked like no other. I enjoyed the comforts of home and being surrounded by family, and I gained useful skills from those jobs. In addition, I met some amazing people at the same time.

I'm thankful for my combined working experiences to bring me where I am today as an intern for a global public relations agency, which was one of my goals this year too.

However, at the end of the day, was it worth working so many jobs and nothing else? It seems like such a waste of my youth to work so much to make ends meet.

I wish I spent more time hanging out with my new friends, but every time an opportunity came up, I declined because of work. :(

Moving forward, I seriously need to stop thinking so pessimistically about my past mistakes and look toward the possibilities ahead.

Isn't that what optimizing opportunities is all about? 


I just need to keep reminding myself that if I'm meant to return to New York, then it will be. 

P.S. Definitely had a more positive attitude about this situation last year...

No comments:

Post a Comment