22 August 2011

JOB HUNT: Good but NOT good enough...

When I first read this on tumblr, I reworded it:
If something is not happening for you, it doesn't mean it's never going to happen...it means they're not ready for YOU!
 I twisted it to make it more optimistic for me, but thinking it over, maybe I am the one who isn't ready...

After yet another rejection, I realized that this statement is true as is.  
With all these rejections, one thing has stayed constant.  All of them said that I have a good resume and good experience, BUT...

The exception is my lack of enthusiasm, my lack of experience, my lack of interest in that particular industry in public relations.  My problem is that I want to try out different areas of public relations to see what I like and what I don't like.  I guess being well-rounded isn't a good thing in this case.

I need to focus, but with so many interests (having yet to discover others), it's been difficult to figure out where I want to go in public relations.  So far I have experience in a non-profit organization that focused on community programming through its park system and experience in a boutique food and hospitality agency.  I loved working in both, but I want to be exposed to, learn more about, gain experience in:

  • Corporate communications
  • Fashion/beauty
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
  • Digital/Social Media
  • Technology (consumer-based)
  • Museums
While I want to be part of a bigger global picture, I need to start off somewhere. I enjoy making people happy, which is key in public relations right? Making your clients/patrons/media partners/community members happy?  I like being behind the scenes, making things happen, getting stuff done and reaping the rewards afterward - mostly just the sense of accomplishment will do. 

So how do I go about trying to figure out what path to go on in public relations? Apparently the experience route is out of the question. Textbooks? Blogs? Websites? I have no problem with research, so let's go!  I'll record my thoughts on yet another blog that will solely focus on public relations material: http://tmmpr.wordpress.com (it's still under construction). Hopefully this method will help clear this vague picture I have of public relations and all its different facets and take me down a path worthwhile.

With this new game plan, I still ponder this question (referring back to the quote)...

It may be true that I'm not ready for it, 
but how will I be ready without a chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment