21 January 2012

FOOTBALL: For the love of the game...

(via ninernoise.com)
This whole week, the news has been about the NFC Championship game between the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Giants.  In addition, they have been covering the difference between diehard fans and band-wagoners.  It really got me thinking about where I stand.  

Thinking back, the 49ers was probably the first sports team that I knew about, especially in elementary school.  You either liked the 49ers or the Dallas Cowboys.  It was the 90s. What do you expect? Since the 49ers are closer in proximity, they were the obvious choice.  Plus, being a history buff (even at that age), I made the connection between the San Francisco 49ers and the actual 49ers of the California Gold Rush. :)

(via bleacherreport.com)
In 1995, I remember the 49ers winning against the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX and becoming the first team to win five Super Bowls.  It was a big deal! 

(via ebay.com)
The next year, Wheaties came out with a commemorative cereal box dedicated to Super Bowl XXX.  I memorized the helmets on the back of the box, recalling the 49ers had the most, followed by the Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers (they won 4 each).  Did you know those boxes are going for $30.00 on eBay nowadays?

For several years, I just watched the Super Bowl for the commercials and somewhat paying attention to the game.  On a side not, I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl was also an introduction to reading Roman numerals...

Flash forward to high school...

I was determined to understand football because I was tired of watching it and pretending I knew what was going on...and because I totally was crushing on the quarterback at school. haha Anywho, my dad helped me understand the game, and I kinda got into it.  I wasn't really rooting for anyone. I'd pick a team to root for for the Super Bowl but that was the extent of that.  I have to admit the Super Bowl experience is more enjoyable and complete when watching the game, the commercials and the half-time show.

Watching the Super Bowl was an annual event for me, but I realized it doesn't mean anything if you're not watching the entire season.

It wasn't until this season that I took advantage of being home and got back into the game - like really in to it.  Football is such an intriguing yet entertaining sport. All season, it became routine to watch a football game anytime it was on - Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Then I found myself getting upset when the channel was changed when we were in the middle of watching a game.  Honestly, it was getting intense, but it was all for the love of the game!! There have been some great match-ups this year and some amazing plays (hello Tim Tebow!), and with a couple playoff games left, I'm excited to see what's going to happen next.

So to bring this full circle, I rooted for the 49ers from the beginning...of this season.  Even though I like to think I've been a fan since the mid-90s, I admit that I totally have band-wagon status.  But if you can make dreamers into believers, you can make a band-wagoner into a diehard fan. Let's go Niners! Beat the NY Giants on Sunday! :)

(via Twitter @49ers)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete