05 June 2011

NYC: 9 months (and counting...?)

Today marks my ninth month in New York City.  Kinda funny because nine months ago, I arrived in New York at LaGuardia Airport at night, and today, I arrived at JFK early in the morning. 

But anyway...almost a YEAR?! What?!  However, the question isn't how long I've been here, it's what have I accomplished since I've been here...
  • I've completed two public relations internships, giving me a glimpse of the non-profit and agency worlds.  I'm leaning more toward non-profits because it was such a fantastic experience.  The programs that we promoted were awesome and the people I worked with were truly a blessing and appreciative of my work, while helping me gain vital PR skills.  
  • I dabbled in quite a few part-time jobs, more than I ever had back home or in school.  It's been interesting and fun doing those jobs, but I know it is not what I want to do for a career.  They are part-time for a reason.
  • I've made some new friends, but I wish I got to hang out with them more often. 
  • I know more about navigating through this large city but continuing to discover more every day. 
It has been an amazing adventure thus far, even with its ups and downs; it's all part of this journey of the post grad life.  However, something has been bothering me.  Although I feel accomplished in a way, there's a part of me that feels like I haven't achieved anything.  I think it's the lack of a full-time job in public relations, communications or marketing that's bringing me down.  A full-time job would truly exemplify an achievement, after completing all those hours of interning and working. 

I feel like I'm in the same place I was last year after I graduated.  I thought I would get hired immediately after completing college, and this time, I thought I'd get hired immediately after completing my internships.  You think I would have learned from the first time around that that's not how it works.  Patience and optimism is key. 

So the job search and my time in NYC continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment