01 January 2011

NYC: New Year Brings New Hopes

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! It's 2011! :D

For the first time ever, I actually celebrated New Year's Eve.

Every year, my family keeps it low key...and by low key I mean seriously low key. We're usually just playing on the computer or the Wii for most of the day, and then when it's the last 30 minutes or so, we'll watch the NYE TV coverage (aka the video of the ball dropping 3 hours before).  Then we'll eat some kind of snack and bust out the sparkling cider.  Totally low key...

There are several reasons to celebrate 2010 and to welcome a new year.

1) Graduation from the University of Portland - Those last couple months as a Portland Pilot will definitely be cherished, even with all those sleepless nights and papers I wrote.  There are so many awesome memories that I made with my friends that shadow those lows, like when they kidnapped me to VooDoo Donuts, when we ventured downtown, when we went to the many successful CPB events, when we made those hilariously fun dance videos and soo much more! :D

2) Summer Travels - Although it was a summer without studying abroad, it was fun to travel to Colorado, different places in California, and back up to Oregon.  And what made it better was being able to spend time with my family and friends.  It was such a chill summer.  However, it really sucked applying for all those jobs and not getting any response back until...

3) NEW YORK CITY! - I know I've probably said this a million times, but honestly, I definitely was not planning to be in New York City 6 months after graduation from college.  It has been a whirlwind of success so far, and I'm excited to see what the new year brings...

Here's to 2011!!

To welcome in the new year, Ben and I went to Times Square and waited for a good 8 hours for the ball to drop. We ended up on 49th Street and 7th Avenue.  The view isn't bad from there, but we definitely wish we were closer to get the sweet hats and streamers.  Definitely good to know for the next time I go on this escapade to Times Square on New Year's Eve!

The experience was one to remember.  I don't know how many times I thought about how surreal this is.  Everything about being here in NYC has been surreal.  It's like living a dream, which reminds me...

Our theme for 2010 was the year of chasing dreams! I'm positive Ben and I have accomplished the theme, especially by ending up in NYC to actually chase those dreams and TCOB. Because of this, 2011 has so much promise for us...

As we begin enterprising - boldly going where we have not gone before.  (Go ahead and laugh at my inner geekiness....). But it is true. This is the first time in my life where school doesn't dictate my year.  In fact, I don't even know what the year looks like beyond the first couple months with my internships.  It is exciting, and I know this year has a lot in store.  It's just a matter of continue having that drive and motivation to accomplish everything and reach that end goal of having a career in PR/Marketing.  2011 will be the year to make it happen!

The path is already being paved with my continuing internship with City Parks Foundation and a paid internship with Baltz & Company, a boutique PR agency that specializes in food and hospitality.  I'm so excited to get started with them.  I'm also stoked to continue my internship with CPF, especially as we prep for their biggest event of the year - SummerStage.  With these two internships, I will be able to gather the knowledge and skills needed to excel in PR whether that is in the non-profit or agency setting.

But yes, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Make 2011 an awesome year! I wish the best for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment